Sunday 13 June 2010

Long time no chit chat

Where does the time go? Apart from the obligatory memes I haven’t posted anything general for ages. It’s been busy chez Sparkle, John has returned to work after six months of leisure. He’s joined the staff bank at the hospital  and has spent the last two weeks working his socks off in the medical records library – it’s really hard graft, he’s used to a more sedentary work life so it has come as a bit of a shock to him. But I think he’s enjoying himself – if that’s the right word to use.

This of course means that I’ve lost the housework fairy – he was really getting quite good as well *sorry John – no offence meant* which results in a mad rush at the weekend to catch up with everything – sadly the reduction in income means that I can’t commit to having a lady who ‘does’ again!

I’ve spent most of the afternoon setting auto posts for Alphabe – Thursday (it’s the only one where I know in advance what I need to do!) as we’re off on holiday again next weekend and I don’t want to get into Mrs Matlocks bad books for not handing in my homework (yes, I can hear you all, I know I’m mad!). I did however spend a little time in the garden giving it a bit of a spruce up before we go away. Last year I sent off to the daily paper for a 'Free for every reader’ offer of ten dianthus – they arrived as tiny little plugs of plants that I didn’t notice the postman leave on the front door step. I managed to resuscitate them but only had a space to plant five of them – I wish now that I’d put the others into pots and grown them on. The photo below shows why – I am amazed that they have grown so well from such humble origins.

007 I decided to cut all that were blooming because they would be gone by the time we came back anyway, the darker pinks have been in flower for about six weeks already. The Salvia in the background have been in the garden for about five years but this is the best year I have had from them.

And I just have to share this beauty with you – it greeted me first thing this morning, yesterday it was just a tight green bud, such a shame they only last a day or so – especially with the strong wind we’ve had here today!

005

I think these must have been gifted to me by a very generous bird as I have never had this colour poppy in the garden before, I normally just get a gorgeous pink.

In case you haven’t already entered (or even if you have) don’t forget to enter the giveaway that I am hosting for a £50 voucher – click here for more details – please enter, I feel silly only choosing from a few people plus you don’t want to see Janet winning again now, do you?? (Sorry J – only joking!!)

I’m off now *sigh* another week at work beckons, but at least it’s the last one for a while. Have a good week all!

4 comments:

  1. Have fun on your trip! It sounds like a fun one. You'll have lots of great pictures to share when you get back, that's a beautiful part of the country. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh that is a beautiful poppy. You should try to save the seeds of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time on your trip ... gotta get that homework in ... you know how cranky Mrs. M can be (kidding) ... love the red poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous13/6/10

    Another holiday! that is really not fair lol, have a fab time, love the colours in your garden
    Cathy
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by my ramblings! Thanks for taking the time to comment - I really appreciate it. Looks like the spammers have got the message so I'll remove moderation!