Monday 30 August 2010

It’s out of the box!

Well, I finally got around to unwrapping the sewing machine. I had mentally promised myself a few hours to get started on the quilting, well patchwork at the moment but quilting ultimately.

001

004 

Last week when I was off work I found an amazing YouTube channel here which offers tutorials for quilting – they make it look so simple!

I’ve also bought several books which I hope will inspire me – they make it look simple too!

005

I’ve never been a great one for needlework and sewing machines so I was a little cautious when I started. Trying to remember all the things my Mum tried to teach me. I’m a bit pragmatic when it comes to learning things, so I tend to fiddle around before I read the instruction booklets! I managed to load the lower bobbin and thread the machine in readiness and then I set about deciding what I was going to start with. I had a ‘charm pack’ which I bought in the US when I was on holiday, these are packs of around 40 five inch squares, just ready for you to make a start in whatever way you want to. I decided to try and be clever and start with a ‘pin wheel’ pattern, on reflection that may have been a little ambitious. I chose the four squares that I was least attracted to and started my new hobby!

  006

I was very impressed that I managed to stitch straight lines at a quarter of an inch all the way round – that’s an improvement as I can’t generally sew in a straight line! I was feeling quite proud of myself until the time came to use the rotary cutter against the edge of the ruler. The first cut was disastrous. Somehow I managed to move the cutter away from the ruler – I have no idea how it happened but I know I will be a lot more careful with it now!

So here are my first attempts – spot the one that I cut wrong! I don’t think I did too bad for a first attempt, the points of the pin wheels are almost spot on, I think I’ll perhaps sew some strips and squares to get some practice in!

007

I’ve just come back to the laptop to find I hadn’t finished this post so here is another ta-dah moment! I’ve spent this afternoon sewing as well, this time I started with fat quarters and cut the fabric into strips to make a nine patch square. I’m still not happy with the way I’m finishing – I don’t know if it’s because I’m slipping with the sewing and not keeping straight – I think it probably is that if I’m honest! Anyway, as my mother used to say practice makes perfect – onwards and upwards!

Here’s today’s efforts – John decided to help with the initial cutting ‘cos he thought that was where I was going wrong – it would seem not though!

008

I think my key word has to be patience now – this is, after all, completely new to me and I mustn’t beat myself up over it!

4 comments:

  1. I think you have done very well for a first attempt. Accuracy is everything and one mistake kinda grows and grows as you go along. I have never had the patience for patchwork and practice is definitely required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats fab for a first attempt, well done :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great first attempt - congrats! Terrific.

    Have a great weekend,

    btw apologies for the Delia snafu last week - shows how out of the loop we are here in Spain!

    LOLA:)

    btw My quick Rainbow Indigo link is here if you've the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quilting is not for the feint of heart. I can't even sew a straight line. I'd have made that same miscut straying away from the ruler as you. I think you did great for a first effort. Practice will help. That's how it usually works, right?

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by my ramblings! Thanks for taking the time to comment - I really appreciate it. Looks like the spammers have got the message so I'll remove moderation!