Sunday 7 March 2010

Ouch! Crunch,pop,ouch!

These were the words I uttered and the sounds I heard at the chiropractor during the last week. First visit was for assessment and x-rays. £110. OK – back needs sorting, has to be done – go for it. That was Monday. On Tuesday I went for the results of the assessment and the first treatment. No real surprises, the bottom few vertebrae are degenerating and there’s hardly any space between 1&2 and 2&3. I also have an ‘S’ shaped scoliosis just above that area – fortunately(!) it’s lateral so doesn’t protrude. The first treatment meant laying on this brilliant couch that moves from vertical to horizontal while you stand on a plate – strange sensation at first but a great way to get on the couch if you can’t move properly. The he moved me to the position I needed to be in. Oh my! I cold have sworn I was going to fall off even though he assured me that I was safe! then he said the words you dread – just relax and let me take control! I don’t actually know the exact position he manoeuvred me into – I was so worried about what he was actually going to do. And then he did it. I heard the crunch. And the pop. And I uttered ‘ouch’ – no really, that was all I said! And then he stuck needles in my back! Acupuncture of course, but not the Chinese type – he did explain but by then I was like ‘OK, whatever’. £30 – for about 20 minutes of his time.

He gave me a treatment plan. Two sessions per week for four weeks. Then one session a week for four weeks. Then a review. I was doing the maths! I do think that my back is worth it though.Honestly. Perhaps I should have taken it more seriously a few years ago. Perhaps. But I didn’t have the money then to consider it – not that I have a surplus now, you understand, but I can be a little more generous to my spine these days. I went back on Thursday. No chat this time straight on to the torture treatment – more crunch, pop and ouch and needles (which, incidentally, don’t hurt at all). John timed this treatment. Six minutes. £30 for six minutes. Repeat the mantra – it will be worth every penny.

I have to say that by yesterday morning I was feeling much better. Still nagging pain in my hip and thigh but better. I went off to the hairdressers and the lovely Angela worked her magic with the colour again. You know, I swear she reads my mind. I’d been getting a bit fed up with my hair – been a bit samey for a while, but I didn’t say anything to her. Instead she said ‘I’m thinking you need a change’! how spooky is that. So I had a change – not much but shorter across the back, a bit ‘choppier’ which hopefully will make it easier to manage – or not. I have no patience in the drying department when it comes to my hair, so we will have to see about that.

I’m going to stop now – I’ve just realised how much I’ve written and if I’m getting bored writing it, I’m sure, dear reader, you must be losing interest too!!

I’ll post a part two later – with the results of my retail therapy!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Stick with it. I ended up paying out about £500 before I had settled into the every six weeks slot but when my back does ping what would have taken me three weeks to get over now takes about 3 days so it has been worth it. Some NHS surgeries will pay for it but not round here!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for stopping by my ramblings! Thanks for taking the time to comment - I really appreciate it. Looks like the spammers have got the message so I'll remove moderation!